Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Star Trek

I can't claim to be a Star Trek follower, in fact I haven't seen any of the original Star Trek series. Despite my lack of familiarity with Star Trek, I absolutely loved this film. It is everything you want from a summer blockbuster and seeing it on an I-MAX screen was amazing.

Star Trek was action packed from beginning to end. There wasn't one boring scene in this film. It composes a great introduction to the characters and the story, and it sets itself up perfectly for at least one sequel. I can't emphasize enough, how great the I-MAX experience is. I am going to make sure and see everything available in I-MAX in I-MAX.

The story revolves around James T. Kirk, a rebellious, arrogant young man who is destined to join Starfleet and become captain of a Star ship. Chris Pine was born to play the role of James Kirk and he created a character that is hard not to love.

James Kirk's counterpart is undeniably Spock; a brilliant young man who, throughout his life, has struggled with the fact that he is half human, and half Vulcan. The movie did a great job showing the effect that this simple fact had on Spock, even going back to his childhood.

The villain is Nero, played by Eric Bana, a Romulan (dude from the planet Romulus), who has traveled back in time, due to a black hole, and has far superior technology than that of Starfleet. Nero is creating black holes in the center of planets and these black holes are destroying these planets entirely. Along with their entire crew, Kirk and Spock must stop Nero before he destroys Earth.

The special effects are state of the art, making the visuals absolutely dazzling. The entire ensemble cast delivered, including a cameo from the original Spock, Leonard Nimoy. One of my favorite characters had to be Scotty, a transporter genius played by the hilarious Simon Pegg. I thought Star Trek was a great summer blockbuster and I am looking forward to the sequel.

No comments: